Monday, May 19, 2008

Friday

Well there is a thick fog rollin in from the ocean right now so instead of going out for my morning surf I’ll enlighten you guys with a little more from the coast.

After waking in my car alongside Huntington Beach I got right up, threw on my suit, grabbed my board, and hit the water. The surf was great, I haven’t gotten anything less than great all trip. As I came out of the water I got another comment about how ballsy it was to be out there without a wetsuit and replied with my typical “whatever, I got thick Minnesotan skin. We’d love this water in our lakes some days.” This sparked a great conversation as this guy had come out from Baltimore right after his high school graduation and called this place home for the past 14 years. We talked for about half a hour n then I rolled up the street to the café to get a nice lil breakfast.

After breakfast I decided to do a little exploring of Newport Beach to see the roots of my favorite crew of Seth Cohen, Summer Roberts, Marissa Cooper, and Ryan Atwood. I visited the OC-kids favorite, Fashion Island which is pretty baller. It’s a really nice outdoor mall. I then decided to roll along my way after looking up online where other fun OC locations were, but I was saddened to find many of my favorite OC locations were sprawled out, not necessarily in Newport Beach. Sad day.

I then set out northbound. I made a stop at San Juan Capistrano and took a tour of the San Juan Capistrano Mission, which was very beautiful. The chapel at the mission is the oldest building in use in the entire state of California, having been built in 1872. The mission was also the first winery in California, kinda a big deal. After my tour I found it only appropriate to find the nearest liquor store to pick up my first wine bought in California being that it was the birthplace of California Wine-making.

I then rolled through Dana’s point on the end of the PCH then visited drove into Carlsbad. Carlsbad was a pretty nice city that I didn’t know much about so I decided to get a hotel, seeing as it was about dinnertime. After throwing my stuff in my room I went right across the street to the beach to get some surfing in. The waves weren’t all that, there were few rideable ones, which was a real test to my surfer’s patience, but I’ll take any time just layin on my board out in the ocean.

Soon my stomach was grumbling seeing as I had only eaten breakfast and it was past dinnertime so I called it a day, went back to the hotel, utilized the pool and hot tub for a few minutes before going in to shower up for the night. I took my much-needed warm shower, threw on my brand new Lacoste polo and hit the streets. I walked over to this baller restaurant, the Ocean House. They had a delicious baja chicken sandwich, which I washed down with a margarita or two. I then proceeded to stroll the streets for a little while checking out all Carlsbad had to offer before heading to the hotel for a little bit then back out to one of the bars for a long island, back to the hotel for a trip to the hot tub and then calling it a night.

No comments: