Monday, May 12, 2008

Denver

Greetings from Denver, friends!

I hit the open road from Ames at 2 PM yesterday and of course my first stop of the trip was none other than the Omaha, NE Chipotle! I had made sure not to eat all day so that delicious burrito was only that much better. After that I was Denver-bound. I got in around 11 to my good friend Liz's at the downtown Denver Colorado campus. 

Her place is very baller, right outside the window, across the road sits Mile High stadium and in a distance you can catch a glimpse of the beautiful Pepsi Center. I am so bummed that the Avalanche couldn't have pulled out of their series versus Detroit so I could see that building all lit up and the Avs in action... Oh well, I plan on hittin the city and finding some Avs memorabilia and hopefully I'll be allowed to pick up a Joe Sakic jersey that I was supposed to get for christmas.

I couldn't have asked for a better drive down, with rain having been in the Iowa forecast days earlier I was lucky to have been graced with not a single drop the entire trip. Same thing happened in Denver today, last night the forecast called for rain today and this morning it had changed to sunny with highs in the 70s... amazing! Cruisin' with the window down n tunes blarin' couldn't have been much better. I was also able to just let my mind wander and look deep into things that I have needed to ponder. That was part of the appeal of coming alone, just being able to relax and try n evaluate some things in life.

Whenever I tell people that I was making the trip alone it was received with several different responses with the common undertone: I'm nuts. It only got better when I proceeded to share how I was leaving with not a thing planned, not even knowing how long i'd be gone or where exactly I was gonna end up in Cali. I couldn't have asked for a much better plan (or lack-thereof). Traveling by my own without a single plan allows me to be open to whatever comes my way. Of course I have a few goals and hopes for this trip, but other than that being able to be on my own going day-to-day couldn't excite me more. The lack of companionship along the trip will defiantly have some moments when I wish I had brought someone out, but this really is what I want and as I am today there are friends I will be seeing along the way and hell maybe even make a few, eh?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Timmy,
Glad to see that you posted a blog already. It's fun to hear about your solo adventure across the US. Keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you took my advice on the blog. Now you can look back and see all the crazy shit that happened to you along the way. Be sure to post some pics and stuff. Maybe you could add a calendar to track other things with yellow squares.

Good luck and have fun!

Anonymous said...

timmy your nuts, good choice on going alone- thinking time is good for the mind, a healthy mind is a healthy life...whatever the hell that means. have fun and stay safe!